Prof. Wiredu has varied research interests to be able to provide guidance to all groups of students and Pathology Residents whose interests are diverse and cover a wide area in pathology. He has over 90 publications. His particular areas of interest include:
• Cancer biology and epidemiology with specific interests in Cervical cancer and Molecular epidemiology of HPV infection and Characteristics of HPV-induced cancers
• Characteristics of Breast Cancer in Ghana
• The role of Hepatitis B, C, and D viruses in chronic liver disease (cirrhosis) and hepatocellular carcinoma in Ghana
• Malignant Tumours in Ghanaians: Incidence, Mortality, and Trends
• Molecular genetics of cancers with specific attention to common cancers in Ghana
• Mortality from Hypertension and its complications
• Pathology of tropical diseases especially malaria and onchocerciasis
• Nutrition and diet-related diseases
• Physical- and neuro-rehabilitation
Professor Wiredu has been teaching at the University level for 31 years. He is a dedicated, resourceful, and goal-driven educator with a great commitment to the academic development and growth of his students, always striving to build student self-esteem and encouraging understanding and utilization of basic principles. He is greatly committed to professional ethics, standards of practice and education of varied healthcare professionals, and is experienced in developing curriculum as well as conducting training programs.
He has developed and contributed to curricula for various programs run by the Department of Pathology for undergraduate medical, dental and allied health sciences students. He is involved in organizing and teaching in Pathology Residency Training Programme, developing, organizing and teaching in graduate programs in Medical Laboratory Sciences and Dietetics, developing, organizing and leading in research projects and collaborating with colleagues with similar research interests.
MODULE 1 – Specimen Reception
MODULE 3 – Immunohistochemical Staining - Faults and Remedies
MODULE 4 – Cytopreparatory Techniques
MODULE 7 – Germ Cell Tumours & Childhood Liver Tumours