Dr. Christian Owoo is the Head of Anaesthesia at the Intensive Care Unit in the Department of Anaesthesia, Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Ghana. He is also a Senior Lecturer at the Department of Anaesthesia, School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Ghana. He is a part-time Lecturer at the University of Ghana School of Biomedical and Allied Sciences, Department of Respiratory Therapy. He also lectures at the University of Cape Coast School Of Medical Sciences, and is a Clinical Consultant for the School of Peri-operative and Critical Care Nursing, Korle Bu, Accra, Ghana.
Dr. Owoo engages in several Medical Outreaches in deprived areas in Ghana and Africa – in relation to this cause, he is the current President of Affiliated Schools Outreach Program (ASOP), a Health-oriented Non- Profit Making Outreach Program.
His Clinical interests include Critical Care Medicine, Neuroanaesthesia, Regional Anaesthesia, Venous Thromboembolism Risk Assessment and Management, Blood Conservation Modalities, Obstetric Anaesthesia and Analgesia; and Pain Medicine. Some of his Publications include:
1. Baddoo H, Djagbletey R, Owoo C. Employment of Colour Flow Doppler to identify the tip of the needle during ultrasound-guided nerve blocks. Ghana Med J. 2013; 47(4):211-2.
2. Baddoo H, Djagbletey R, Owoo C. A simple tissue model for practicing ultrasound-guided vascular cannulation. Ghana Med J. 2014; 48(1):47-9.
3. Yeboah ED, Hsing AW, Biritwum RB, [….], Owoo C, […], Hoover RN. Prostate cancer (PC) – Management of 669 cases in Ghana, West Africa. African Journal of Urology. 2014; 20(2):113-114
4. Abdul-Rahman M, Aryee G, Essuman R, Djagbletey R, Lamptey E, Owoo C, Boni F. Factors influencing the choice of anaesthesia as a field of specialty in
5. University of Ghana School of Medicine and Dentistry, Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital. Southern Africa Journal of Anaesthesia and Analgesia. 2015;1(1):1-3
6. Djagbletey, Boni F, Phillips B, Adu- Gyamfi Y, Aniteye E, Owoo C, Owusu-Darkwa E, Yawson AE. Prevalence and predictive factors of preoperative hypomagnesaemia among adult surgical patients in a large tertiary hospital in Ghana. BMC Anesthesiology. 2015; 15:132. dio:10.1186/s12871-015-0116-7.
7. Owusu Darkwa E, Boni F, Lamptey E, Adu-Gyamfi Y, Owoo C, Djagbletey R, Yawson AE, Sottie DAY. Estimation of Endotracheal Tube Cuff Pressure in a Large Teaching Hospital in Ghana. Open Journal of Anesthesiology. 2015; 5:233-241.
8. Djagbletey R, Boni F, Phillips B, Owoo C, […], Yawson AE. Relationship between serum total magnesium and serum potassium in emergency surgical patients in a tertiary hospital in Ghana. Ghana Med J. 2016; 50(2):78-83
Managing the Challenges of MDR Gram-Negative Infections in Sub-Saharan Africa: Reviewing a Novel Treatment Option