This training program by NOVARTIS SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA – PHARMACY ACADEMY will educate pharmacists in Sub-Saharan Africa on Sickle Cell Disease (SCD); with emphasis on the role of the Pharmacist in the management of the condition.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Understand what SCD is
2. Explain the pathogenesis of SCD
3. Easily detect the clinical features of the disease
4. Understand what Vaso-occlusive crisis (VOC) is, and its effect on specific organs.
5. Display knowledge of the pharmacologic, non-pharmacologic and novel treatment option for SCD
6. Get a better understanding of counselling, ADR monitoring, etc.
7. Make enhanced clinical choices in infusion selection in the management of SCD.
BPharm, MPH/MSc, FGCPharm, PharmD, MPSGh
Senior Specialist Clinical Pharmacist in Pediatric Haematology Oncology at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH). Lecturer in Pharmacy Practice- Paediatrics
Dr. Paul Obeng is a Senior Specialist Clinical Pharmacist in Pediatric Haematology Oncology at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi, Ghana. He holds a Bachelor of Pharmacy, a Master of Public Health and Doctor of Pharmacy from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST).View full profile / courses