This significant event is organized for graduates of Medicine and Dentistry upon completion of the prescribed and approved academic and practical training in the form of Housemanship. All inductees must have written and passed the Licensure Examinations conducted by the Medical and Dental Council, Ghana (MDC Ghana). They therefore meet the appropriate training standards for practice as Medical Doctors and Dentists in Ghana.
These inductees are one hundred and twenty (120) in number. They are from various accredited training institutions including the University of Ghana (UG), Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), the University of Health and Allied Sciences (UHAS), the University of Cape Coast (UCC), the University for Development Studies (UDS), Accra College of Medicine (ACM), as well as other foreign-trained doctors who sat and passed the Council’s professional qualifying examinations. They will be led to swear the Hippocratic Oath.
This event will take place at the Accra International Conference Centre as the physical venue. It will also be broadcast live on Facebook and YouTube LIVE (links below) for the benefit of all virtual attendees including parents, guardians, and the general public.
The guest of honor for this event is the Hon. Minister of Health. Kwaku Agyemang Manu.
THE MEDICAL AND DENTAL COUNCIL
The Medical and Dental Council is the statutory agency under the Ministry of Health established under Part II of the Health Professions Regulatory Bodies Act, 2013 (Act 857) responsible for the regulation of the training and practice of medicine and dentistry in Ghana.
Functions of the Council
- Assess facilities and contents of programmes for the training of doctors and dentists and physician assistants in training institutions;
- Ensure that the pre-registration training of newly qualified doctors and dentists and physician assistants in accredited training institutions meets the required standards;
- Conduct examinations for the registration of foreign-trained medical and dental practitioners and physician assistants;
- Compile and keep registers of registered practitioners;
- Prescribe and enforce professional standards and conduct for practitioners;
- Conduct examinations for the registration of locally trained medical and dental practitioners and physician assistant who do not meet the prescribed conditions for registration; and
- Perform any other functions that are ancillary to the object of the Council.
- Integrity: Provision of honest leadership, we share what we see with our stakeholders
- Transparency & Accountability: Commit to take responsibility, be open and accountable for our actions
- Excellence: Commit to achieving highest standards with open-mindedness and a willingness to continuous learning
- Fairness: Equal respect to all persons and treat them without prejudice
- Collaboration & Strategic Partnership: We recognise healthcare as teamwork, so we will work with others to support safe, high-quality care for the public good.
- Assure and maintain public health, safety and wellbeing
- Promote and maintain public trust in the professions and members of the professions
- Ensure and sustain public confidence in the healthcare system
- Prescribe and enforce professional standards and conduct
The vision of the Council is to be an internationally acclaimed competent, innovative and accountable regulatory authority for medical and dental practice in Ghana, for the public good.
“Guiding the professions, protecting the public”
The object of Council as provided for under section 27 of Act 857 is to secure in the public interest the highest standards in the training and practice of medicine and dentistry in Ghana.
MEMBERS OF THE 10TH BOARD OF THE COUNCIL
- Prof. Paul Kwame Nyame (Board Chair)
- Dr. Divine Ndonbi Banyubala (Registrar)
- Hon. Mahama Asei Seini – Deputy Minister for Health (Rep. from the Ministry of Health)
- Prof. Margaret Yaa Mansa Lartey (Rep. for the Medical Schools)
- Dr. Constance Addo Yobo (Elected Board Member – Dental)
- Dr. Ernest Yorke (Elected Board Member – Medical)
- Mrs. Stella Otema-Badu (Rep. from the Attorney General Dep’t)
- Mr. Samuel Adjapong (Minister for Health’s Nominee)
- Amb. Mrs. Ambassador Cecilia Gyan Amoah (Nominee)
- Ms. Rebecca Bantey (Elected Board Member – PA and CRA)
In-Person and Virtual attendance is FREE. Accra International Conference Centre - Accra.
Kindly download the programme to see what each of the presenters is delivering, and at what time.